Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Become a principal????

I am in my 4th year of teaching. I have taught 1st and 2nd grade. Currently, I teach at a predominantly Black school. This is the first African American school that I have taught at. My previous 2 schools were predominantly White and Hispanic. Coincidentally, they were also A schools, since their inception. My school has only received Ds and Cs. It was close to making a B last year.

While everyone knows that Black and White schools are different, I don't understand why they HAVE to be. Aside from the cultural things that make us different, why can't Black school and White schools operate the same? Why can't all schools be run in an orgnized manner? Why can't announcements and due dates come in an appropriate time frame? Why do all things have to be thrown together last minute? Why do things have to be run in a second-class fashion. Why don't teacher's support extra curricular activities to support the students without it being a hassle?

These concerns that I have prompt a goal inside of me that has been suggested to me by at least 3 people in my past. Should I become a principal? As a principal, I can first-handedly address these concerns and develop strategies and plans to correct them. I can hire teachers that have a true work ethic and put in maximum effort for their students. I can hire a leadership team that runs itself professionally and punctually. I can recruit resource professionals who seek the best tools for our students' success. I think that my biggest want is for students who live in a poverty stricken area to perform just as well as those in a high income population. Poverty is a financial situation not an intellectual predeterminer.

Success is not a color nor a net worth. It is a decision.

No comments: